About the Build Haiti Foundation
Conceived in 2006 by a group of Haitian entrepreneurs in Maryland passionately interested in improving the quality of life for the people in Haiti, the Build Haiti Foundation evolved from a fact-finding, consultative organization to a collaborative agency combining the ideas and resources of local Haitians, Expats and Friends of Haiti to support sustainable models of Haitian development using a decentralization model. Trips to Haiti coupled with a technology expo in July of 2007 helped to more clearly define its mission as an organization dedicated to working with the Haitian diaspora to effect change in Haiti. Since the 2010 earthquake, which devastated Haiti’s capital of Port-au-Prince, the Build Haiti Foundation has undertaken numerous projects in Haiti that have had a direct impact on the lives of Haitians in the northern village of Camp Coq, approximately an hour’s drive west from Cap-Haitien, the second largest city in Haiti.
Our programs focus on the establishment of a decentralized Haiti and the achievement of sustainability, self-reliance and prosperity for its people. BHF is committed to addressing poverty, sustainability issues and youth development through its four pillars of action - education, public health, environmental sustainability and entrepreneurship. BHF fosters collaboration with individuals and organizations alike to apply best practice to all its projects.
Become a respected global organization through which the international community and the Haitian Diaspora connect with Haiti.
The Build Haiti Foundation embraces ten key values that guide the organization’s culture, the selection and management of projects and the recruitment of volunteers. These key values are:
- Faith – We believe in the power of the human spirit and what we can achieve if we only put our minds to it.
- Perseverance – There is an old saying that goes: “Rome was not built in one day”. Likewise, Haiti is a long-term project that we know will take some time. We believe in our resilience to go above and beyond to get the job done.
- Integrity – We adhere to ethical and moral principles that will meet any standard. This is what we promote within and this is what is expected of anyone wishing to join our organization.
- Equality – We are bounded by our perception. It is in our sense of equality that we are able to equally leverage the value of every man and woman in our society. This makes our family, community and our world better.
- Collaboration – It is the essence of success. The diversity of perspectives and skills are the main ingredients that will engender change in a country such as Haiti. By the same token, it will take a collaborative effort to bring the different capabilities that will truly make the difference that Haiti needs.
- Resolve – This is what we need when nothing else seems to work. We are simply determined to move forward.
- Respect -We serve with a servant’s heart.
- Truth – We are guided by the purity of our Christ Jesus who will guide us through.
- Empathy – We not only understand the state of our clients, we once lived in their shoes as well.
- Discipline – Our approach is well-structured and process-oriented.